Works on the site of former semi-detached timber framed cottages dating from around 1890. Listed on the local planning register as a building of local interest and as a familiar landmark property, the original building was beyond viable repair and was to be demolished to make way for a new steel framed multi-use building.
The design brief was to construct the new building in the style of the former cottages using materials and construction techniques to match the existing buildings wherever possible.
Challenges were to retain the scale and proportion of the former dwelling whilst constructing a predominately clear span multi -use hall incorporating a steel frame and acoustic controlled floors and walls. Particular care was taken on the design detailing the selection of materials and components to ensure they retained the authentic look of the cottages whilst meeting current construction standards.
- Share this